For one reason or another, you aren’t going to be using your bike or boat for the next few months. Whether it is due to weather or a busier schedule, you consider cancelling your toy insurance policy on your specialty vehicle. But, not so fast… there are many reasons why you may want to keep that policy in-force in the off-season.
Toy Insurance in Hawaii:
- Thieves: You’ve made sure that your toy is all prepped to sit for a while and it is tucked safely away. As much as you can plan to keep your toy safe, it can still be a target for thieves. If you’ve cancelled your insurance policy and your toy is stolen or damaged in an attempted theft, you’re on the hook for your loss. You may have kept a portion of your policy, just liability, which may not cover the theft of your toy.
- Liability: Your specialty vehicle may be stored, but should someone be injured on it (even if they were there without permission) you may be liable for their medical bills. If your toy becomes dislodged and damages someone else’s property, that repair cost may be your responsibility.
- Fire: If the unthinkable happens, there is a fire and your vehicle or trailer is damage or destroyed, your loss may not be covered if you cancelled your policy. With natural disasters like earthquakes, floods or windstorms it is possible that your earthquake, flood or homeowner’s insurance may cover your loss if your toy is stored at your home. Check with your insurance agent about this possibility.
- Temptation: If you toy is insured and there happens to be a perfect day to take out your bike, if your insurance is year-round there is no need to worry. However, if you cancelled your insurance you will not be covered – not only is that a huge safety (and financial) risk it could also be illegal.
- Cost: Discounts! Did you know that most insurance carriers offer discounts on toy policies that are kept year-round. Not only will you be covered in case you want to take your toy out for a mid-winter spin, you will also be saving money. It’s a win-win!
It may seem logical to keep your toy insurance in effect while it’s stored for a season, but it could be a huge hit financially if your toy is stolen, damaged or liable for an injury. If you have questions about a year-round policy for your bike, boat or ATV ask the local, independent insurance agents at Carr’s Insurance Agency in Honolulu, HI. Their insurance experts can assist you with amending an existing toy policy or getting you a free quote for a new policy. Visit their insurance website 24/7 for more information about the other insurance products they sell.